Water Heater Maintenance Tips For The Fall
3 Tips For Keeping Your Water Heater in Tip-Top Shape This Fall
As the weather cools down, it’s time to turn your attention away from outdoor activities and ensure you have adequate water in your home. If you live in a place where you have to worry about freezing temperatures, it’s especially important to make sure that your water heater works well throughout the fall and winter months, as H2O can easily freeze and burst your water heater if it’s not kept at just the right temperature.
To help you get through this season in comfort, here are three helpful tips for keeping your water heater in tip-top shape this fall.
1) Check Your Tank
When you check your tank, you’re looking for sediment, rust or anything else that might be blocking the flow of water. Be sure to clean any surfaces where water may have pooled or collected at the bottom of the tank to avoid this from happening and prevent future damage.
2) Protect From Freezing Weather
Draining your water heater when freezing weather is imminent could save you from having to take cold showers once the temperatures drop. Like any other piece of home hardware, a frozen water heater will be less effective, so be sure to lower the thermostat on your hot water tank at least five degrees before cold weather arrives.
3) Drain And Flush the System
Often, your water heater’s tank will be dirty with sediment from minerals in hard water that accumulate in the bottom of the tank. If left unchecked, these minerals can break down and cause corrosion in your pipes and, thus, damage your water heater, causing it to run less efficiently. Luckily, there is a relatively simple way to remedy this:
- First, you’ll have to turn off the power source to the water heater.
- Turn off the cold water supply valve — this valve can typically be found at the top of your water heater.
- Attach a hose to the drain valve (located at the bottom of the heater), open all the hot water faucets in your home and let them run.
- Open the drainage valve to empty the tank completely.
- Once it’s empty, turn the cold water valve back on and let it run for about 10 minutes to push clean water through your water heating system and remove any leftover sediment.
For Top Plumbing Services Near You, Contact Keep Smiling Plumbing & Electric!
If you’re looking for high-quality water heater solutions, don’t hesitate to call Keep Smiling Plumbing & Electric. Located in East Atlanta, we’ve become one of the most sought-after water heater services in GA; all it takes is reading through our satisfied customers’ reviews to understand why!
No matter what type of service you need for your water heater, we are the company to call! Our team is knowledgeable and always available when needed. Check out our special offers and contact us today so we can schedule your appointment!
Local plumbing experts
to keep you smiling
licensed, drug &
100 hours of annual
We call prior to
all vehicles are
all techs wear id
badges & uniforms